Friday, February 3, 2012

No Sleep Salmon


Sometimes, I am cursed with Restless Brain Syndrome.  When this happens, it's never good.  I wake up in the middle of the night, my mind starts churning, and there is no OFF switch.  And that's what happened to me at 3:00am Wednesday.  I woke up and couldn't stop thinking about Girl Scout Valentine's crafts, no matter how hard I tried.  It was horrible.  Finally, at about 5:00, I just got up and watched TV.  There's not a whole lot worth watching on TV at 5:00am.  Luckily, I had recorded the latest New Girl from the night before, so I watched that.  Either that show is really getting funny, or I was just slap-happy from lack of sleep, but I laughed a lot.  Way to go, Zooey!

Unfortunately, Wednesday was grocery store day, and I had to think about a meal plan for the next few days.  Meal plans are hard for me, even when I'm thinking clearly.  Wednesday, I was NOT thinking clearly.  I needed easy meals.  I didn't have to worry about tonight (Friday) because it's First Friday which means dinner at the pub.  I decided on pancakes for last night (Thursday) because I had buttermilk that I needed to use.  So that just left Wednesday.  One day to plan.  I could do that.  So I started to think about it...

AHA!  Fish!  I would have Fish Night.  Fish Night is easy! Wegman's has these already prepared flounders that Daphne really likes.  Is it flounder?  Maybe it's cod.  Flounder or cod, I can't remember.  It's some sort of delightfully mild white fish that just has to be re-heated in the oven.  Anyway, that was the plan.  Fish, rice, and a salad.  Done.

So I went to Wegman's, got everything I needed, and headed to the already-prepared-fish area.  Guess what.  No flounder/cod.

No fish, no plan.

Panic began to set in. 

I had to use the Force again.  So I took a deep breath, looked around, and spied the salmon.  Crisis averted.  (Cue trumpets)

My good friend, who we call Miss B., is a great cook.  She made orange glazed salmon for us one night when she had a little Mommy Dinner Party, and was nice enough to share the recipe.  Good stuff.  And really easy.  Even a sleep-deprived zombie could make it, with a little help from her Kindergartener.

So, Daphne made the glaze and brushed it on the salmon (above), and she also made a nice salad (below):

Oh my gosh, I love my wooden salad bowl.

Meanwhile, I made some rice pilaf, and about 20 minutes later, we had a nice healthy and delicious dinner.

Thank you, Miss B.  
Recipe below.



Miss B's Salmon with Orange Marmalade

Ingredients

1/4 cup marmalade (I actually use a little more than that)
2 Tbsp. soy sauce
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 lb salmon fillet
salt

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Combine first 3 ingredients and whisk.
Place salmon on the rack of a broiler pan lined with foil and sprinkle with salt (I usually brush the foil with a little olive oil to prevent sticking).  Spread about half the marmalade mixture over fish.  Bake for 18 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork.  Remove from oven and spread remaining orange mixture over salmon.
Preheat broiler.
Broil fish 3 minutes or until topping browns.

No comments:

Post a Comment