Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Spring Break


And by that, I mean Spring has decided to take a Break.  It got cold outside again.  So for now, I am off the hook for finding and making light springy meals.


Instead, I made some good old down home delicious southern style Louisiana shrimp and grits.
Hooooo-weeeeee!


Oh, grits, how I missed you.  Recipe below:

It's Shrimp and Grits Time Oh Yeah

For the Grits:
Prepare grits according to package directions, but use milk instead of water (or a combination of milk and chicken stock).  Quick cooking grits are fine, but don't use the instant ones.  When the grits are done, stir in some grated cheddar cheese and butter until melted.  Sorry I don't have measurements here...do this to taste.  It's pretty hard to ever have too much cheese and butter in this situation, so just go for it.  You can always have a salad tomorrow.  Add some cayenne or tabasco if you want some kick. The grits will be all nice and creamy now.  Taste to see if you need more salt.  Grits need a lot of salt.  But still, be careful not to overdo it.  Pour all the yummy creamy cheesy grits into a baking dish.  Sprinkle more cheese (that's right) on top and bake at about 375 until the cheese on top is all golden and bubbly.  Yep.  You can use the broiler to get a crispier top but still keep the grits all creamy.

For the Shrimp:
My friend and neighbor, Michelle, used to make these shrimps at parties as an appetizer.  Then she moved away.  So, if I wanted to, I could pretend they were all my brilliant idea.  They're not my idea.  But they're SO so easy and fast and tasty.  So, thanks, Michelle! (Please come and visit us - we miss you!)
All you have to do is heat some olive oil in a large frying pan.  Add some minced garlic and cook for a few seconds.  Then, add some shrimp (I used a bag of Wegman's frozen uncooked peeled and deveined shrimp- thawed, rinsed, and dried).  Add quite a bit of Chef Paul's Seafood Magic seasoning and saute until shrimps are cooked through.  Sorry again for not having exact amounts of things.  You'll just have to play around with it.  The seasoning is a little spicy, but not so spicy that you need a glass of milk.  It's just right spicy.  Add cayenne if you want it to be glass of milk spicy.

Serve with a salad, or vegetable of your choice (I had grilled zucchini this time), and maybe a nice baguette.  Invite people over to join you for dinner, and listen to some Tab Benoit or Mississippi John Hurt.  Shrimp and grits night is one of my favorite nights.

No comments:

Post a Comment