Tuesday, January 8, 2013

God Bless You, Tyler Florence


Sometimes - not often, but sometimes - I will cook something, and when I take a bite of it, it's like Holy Crap!  I can't believe I made something that is THIS awesome!  Sorry for saying "crap."  I know this is a Family Blog.  But last night when I put a bite of Lemon Ricotta Pancake in my mouth, it was truly a Holy Crap moment.

I had just enough leftover DIY ricotta to make these Tyler Florence ricotta pancakes.  I didn't make the apple topping.  Instead, I used some blueberry syrup from a local farm that one of my neighbors recently gave me. It was a perfect combination.

There are several steps to making these pancakes, but it isn't hard at all so don't be tempted to skip any of them.  Don't be shy with the lemon zest. And use a good creamy ricotta like Bel Gioioso.  Or, make your own!

These will make your family happy.  They might even love you more.  Unless your family has a kid who refuses to eat cheese, or anything made with cheese even if you can't even notice that there is cheese in there at ALL.  (That kid got quickie Bisquick pancakes.  More ricotta ones for me and Kev!  Heck yeah!)


Here is the recipe.  Make them.  I'm not kidding.

Tyler Florence's Amazing Ricotta Pancakes:

  • 2 cups ricotta
  • 4 large eggs, separated
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 1 teaspoon lemon zest
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 3 tablespoons sugar
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • Pinch salt
  • Butter, for cooking
  • Confectioners' sugar, for dusting, optional

Combine the ricotta, egg yolks, buttermilk, lemon juice, and lemon zest in a large mixing bowl. Sift the dry ingredients: flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt together into the ricotta mixture and stir until fully combined. In a separate bowl whisk the egg whites until stiff peaks form and then gently fold into the batter.
Heat a large nonstick pan over medium heat and add a little butter. Cook 2 to 3 pancakes at a time using a 6-ounce ladle or measuring cup to pour the batter into the pan. The trick to perfect round pancakes to carefully pour all the batter in the same spot and let it roll out to a complete circle. Cook the pancakes on 1 side until they set. When small bubbles appear on the uncooked surface, flip the pancakes and cook until golden on both sides, about 6 minutes. Keep the pancakes on a plate set at the back of the stove under a dry towel to keep warm while you make the rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment