Wednesday, January 11, 2012

I Love My Slow Cooker


Yesterday was Tuesday.  Tuesday is my Crazy Day.  Daphne has piano and art in the morning, school in the afternoon, and every other week, Daisies after school.  On Daisy Tuesdays especially, I need an easy meal.

Since I got my slow cooker for Christmas, I have been scouring the internet for recipes, and one search that has yielded a lot of results is Pinterest.  Pinterest is a sort of virtual bulletin board where you can keep track of Things You Love on the Internet and store them in an organized fashion.  So anyway, I went on Pinterest and typed "slow cooker" in the search box, and up came all these beautiful pictures of food people have made in their own slow cookers.  I followed one of these pictures to a recipe for Butter Chicken, my favorite Indian dish, and decided that yesterday was the perfect day to give it a try.  I got Daphne on the bus, ran to Wegman's for ingredients, and got the whole thing in the crock pot by about 1:30.  I cooked it on high for about 4 hours, and then on low for another hour, and it was ready when we got home from the Daisy meeting.  You should have smelled my house!  A very happy thing to come home to.  All I had to do then was steam some broccoli and throw a couple pieces of Naan in the oven.  I already had rice from the day before, so I just nuked it, and dinner was served.

This recipe is EASY and really really good.  The hardest part is probably finding all the ingredients.  Wegman's had everything I needed, and I'm sure you could find them also easily at Whole Foods, Central Market, and any good grocery store with an international aisle.  I kept it mild for Daphne, who ate it up and got a Star Wars point for trying something new.  Next time I might kick up the heat a little, and I will definitely double the recipe since it barely made enough for left-overs.  When I make Big Pots of Things, I like to have enough for at least two family meals and a lunch for Kev to take to work.  Anyway, I highly recommend this.  It was really as good as going to an Indian restaurant.  Not bad for a Tuesday.

Slow Cooker Butter Chicken

original recipe below by Lisa Kremer found via Pinterest at Meal Planning 101.

4-6 boneless chicken thighs cut into bite-sized pieces
1 onion diced
3 cloves garlic minced
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp oil

Stir fry chicken, onion and garlic in frying pan on medium heat until the chicken has some color and the onion is translucent. Then pour entire contents of pan into crock pot. Then add:

15 green cardamom pods (can be strung together with needle and thread - I always do it this way, and then a friend informed me putting it in some cheesecloth would be easier...good thinkin')
2 tsp curry powder
1 tbsp curry paste (like Patak’s mild curry paste)
1 tsp cayenne powder (optional) It’s really hot if you add this
2 tsp tandoori masala
1 tsp garam masala
1 can coconut milk
1 cup plain yogurt
1 5.5 fl oz can of tomato paste
Salt to taste

Mix gently and cook on high heat 4-6 hours or low heat 6-8 hours.
Serve with Basmati rice and Naan.

No comments:

Post a Comment